Mahavatar Babaji cave located in the Himalayan region is the most spiritual cave there. It is known as the origin of Kriya Yoga as this is where Yoga Guru Lahiri Mahasaya got kriya teachings directly from Mahavatar Babaji. It is the birthplace of Kriya Yoga and also where Babaji initiated Lahiri Mahasaya in 1961. This place has a huge spiritual significance. To completely understand it the devotees are suggested to read chapter 34 ‘materializing a palace in the Himalayas’ from Autobiography of Yogi and ‘a blessing from Mahavatar Babaji’ from only love by Sri Sri Daya Mata. Visited by thousands of devotees each year it is considered to be one of the best places to practice meditation and yoga.
HOW TO REACH MAHAVATAR BABAJI CAVE?
Reaching Mahavatar Babaji cave is quite complex a requires huge motivation and soul power. The easiest path to follow is by reaching Rishikesh. From Rishikesh, you need to move towards north to Haridwar. From Haridwar, you can take either a bus or train to Kathgodam. Your next destination is Ranikhet which is 4 hours away from Kathgodam. Finally, the last place to reach before Mahavatar Babaji cave is Dwarahat. Overall it takes 14-16 hours to reach to Mahavatar Babaji cave from Rishikesh.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO CARRY:-
The journey to Mahavatar Babaji cave can get a little bit dizzy and tedious to avoid difficulties and have a safe journey the following things should be kept in mind:-
1. The route to reach Mahavatar Babaji cave is not tough even without a local guide. But even if you are under a tour guide make sure he is genuine. Check for reviews to be safe.
2. Always carry medicines for stomach fails, nausea, joint pains, and headaches. The Mahavatar Babaji cave is at high altitudes so it can lead to dizziness.
3. Always consult the doctor before traveling. People having an asthma attack or heart problems must have proper check up to be 100% sure.
4. Carry warm clothes or a blanket. Journey during night time at high altitudes can get cold.
5. Carry cash because digital transaction might not be possible in local areas.
6. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
7. Carry dry fruits or snacks to keep your body charged up.
8. Always carry ID proof to avoid difficulties and ensure safety.
THINGS TO DO AT THE CAVE
To reach the cave you have to travel from Kukuchina. This may take 50 mins to 1 hour. They have ashrams there where sages stay. They are gentle and if informed keep lunch ready for their visitors. From Kukuchina you have to trek a little before finally reaching Mahavatar Babaji cave. The trekking gives a view of the beautiful landscapes and is a great thrill for adventure lovers. Just before the cave, there is a shrine called Babaji’s shrine. This according to the Autobiography by Yogi was built by Mahavatar Babaji for Lahiri Mahasaya to fulfill his last but subconscious materialistic desire. It looks like a small golden palace. Once you reach the cave you need to open your shoes and follow the one-hour meditation. After meditation, you can trek uphill to visit the Pandavkholi Dharamshala and mandir.
This place is great for attaining peace at the spiritual level and rejuvenating the stressful mind. During your visit, you will meet many Kriya Yogis following different gurus but all connected one or other way to Lahiri Mahasaya.